Sunday, November 9, 2014

Kefir and Prednisone

Symptoms are getting stronger again.  If I had to guess it was a few days after dropping the dosage of the hydrocorisone suppositories from 2 a day to 1 a day... but it's just a guess.  It's funny... I was actually starting to feel better a couple weeks ago, I messaged my GI saying I was marginally better but not where I want to be, and then like the next day... bam... back to blood and urgency.  Msg'd her again and she prescribed prednisone again.  Starting at 40mg and tapering from there every week.  Hasn't gotten any better and in some ways worse.  Passed a lot of blood the last 2 days. 

I'm pretty excited to ferment my own kefir and try that.  You soak these 'kefir grains' in milk or water and let it ferment a day or three.  Then you drink it.  I know... sounds crazy right?  It's really not.  People have been fermenting food and drinks for centuries.  One I'm sure you've heard of and even ate is sour kraut. 

The 'grains' are actually microrganisims and their food which is just sugar and yeast.  It's not like an wheat or corn grain.  It's a little colony of probiotics.  When you ferment your kefir they multiply, feeding on the sugar in the liquid, breaking down compounds into more simple elements.  You're left with a super food packed full of live probiotics, amino acids, and other vital nutrients. 

I'm going to start with almond milk kefir.  I will try regular milk kefir soon though.  However I have to ferment it longer to make sure all the lactose is consumed.  See the bacteria feeds on the sugar, which in milk is the lactose, so if you let them fully mature they consume almost all of the lactose.  Even if you're lactose intolerant like myself you can drink milk kefir. 

Meeting with my GI again on Monday.  Yeah; the one I complained about last time.  I know she won't have anything I want to hear... just going to push the next class of drugs I can't afford; Remicade and Humira. 

No comments:

Post a Comment