Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Humira I Go

I'm officially on Humira now.  A part of me is sad I couldn't find relief naturally... but I'm already getting over it.  I'll still pursue healthy options in my diet and other non-pharmaceutical options because they are simply the right thing to do overall and in the long run.  Really hoping this puts me into remission and I can broaden my diet options.  Somethings I'll never be able to reintroduce like most dairy or stupid amounts of sugar.  It would be nice though to be able to join in most meals with my family and relieve a lot of that pressure and stress from my wife.  Just because I started these meds doesn't mean I'm all better.  Best case scenario is in 4 weeks I should see significant improvement but it could take longer.  In the mean time I'm still very inflamed thus all the natural methods will aid in ensuring I'm getting proper nutrition.

I'm still loosing weight which is a little scary.  Down to 159, was at 161 my last office visit, and 163 the time before that.  I'm really hoping the milk kefir helps me absorb nutrients better.  That's kind of the whole point of it so we'll see.  I'll get into that in another post though.

Humira is a self-administered injected drug.  Went in to the GI and they have a physicians assistant show you how the auto injector pens work. They answer all your questions, show you how to do it, and then you do it.  I'm a super big wuss when it comes to needles so this is a big deal.  My wife says I'm worse than the kids when it's time for our flu shots!  She's pretty much right.  However these auto injectors are pretty fool proof.  Just hold it properly, push the button, hold everything tight until it goes yellow... done!  Man it hurts but only for like 15 seconds. 

Gave myself two injections at the doctors office.  Then two more before bed.  At the office I administered them into my belly but that night I did the leg.  I think the leg is better.  Holding the pen against your belly properly is awkward and later that day when laughing it made it sore.  So far no real soreness in my legs and holding the pen was much easier.  I don't think either location hurt less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment