Saturday, May 24, 2014

Elimination Diet - Started 2014.05.20

My wife and I were inspired by many people but one thing in particular that really struck us from other people with UC is the Paleo diet and the Elimination diet.  Lots of resources out there about both so let me just focus on how I'm implementing them.

I eliminated EVERYTHING.  I'm only eating chicken, carrots, and bananas.  Chicken is unprocessed, baked, or grilled (not fried!).  The only 'processed' chicken I'm eating is ground chicken with nothing added.  Also eating rotisserie chicken with as few seasons / ingredients as possible.  My wife made this awesome homemade soup by throwing in what was left of a rotisserie chicken, boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, and carrots. Made some patties out of ground chicken, cooked in a pan with a tablespoon or so of  olive oil, and once the center hits 160 they are good.

Carrots are boiled or steamed; NOT RAW!  That's very key and a mistake I made.  Raw carrots are hard to digest and the gas came back for a day.  The steamed carrots have great flavor and keep their nutrients.

Bananas are RIPE; I mean most people look at them and are like "um, gross..."  I think people are too picky on their bananas.  A FEW brown spots / streaks are FINE!  You peal it and there's no brown spots so don't be scared of some brown on the peel.  The smell and taste should have a hint of fermentation.  Peel shouldn't be green at all. A great treat is to dice up those bananas, throw them into a dish, and freeze them.  Later that day or the next day pull them out and eat them.  Oh man; it's ALMOST like ice cream! 


No comments:

Post a Comment